[Lazarus] Raspberry Pi 3 build issues

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 10:56:11 CET 2016

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 14:03:25 -0400, Anthony Walter <sysrpl at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Seeing as how SD CARD space is a premium on the Pi you should probably
>clean up after you build and install. This include doing things like this
>after make install:
>
>cd $HOME/fpc
>rm -rf .svn
There is no .svn dir in ~, but in the lazarus source dir
du -sh ./dev/lazarus/1.6/.svn
157M    ./dev/lazarus/1.6/.svn

>find packages -name units | xargs rm -rf {0}
>find rtl -name units | xargs rm -rf {0}
>find packages -iname "*make*" -delete
>find rtl -iname "*make*" -delete
These find commands (excluding the piping) do not return anything...

>rm -rf compiler
>rm -rf installer
Not found

>rm -rf share
du -sh .local/share
116K    .local/share

>Which will free up A LOT of SD CARD space.
Those I found above sum to 273M, not so much...

I will have a look at it. But since I usually run with 32 GB SDcards I
don't feel the space cram...

>Also an addition note, there is
>no real reason (IMO) to install trunk or test revisions to root owned
>folders. Usually PREFIX=$HOME/fpc or something thereof will suffice.

Right, when I did the script I specifically wanted to make it run as
user Pi and install to the Pi home dir. Lazarus is therefore a user
program and not a system resource.

However, I decided to use the FPC make install script to install FPC
and it puts FPC in /usr AFIK. THis makes FPC global.

>It should be noted that the default swap file size of Raspbian is only
>100MB which combined with a possible GPU memory settings will occasionally
>cause Lazarus builds to fail mysteriously.

I originally had instructions for usage that specifically increased
swap to 1000MB to get around this issue. But a forum user repeatedly
claimed it was not necessary so I took tha part out and it does work
on the RPi3 at least when I tried. Afetr all it has more RAM.
But I agree that having bigger swap might not hurt anyway.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden