[Lazarus] Feature Request: Insert {codepage UTF8} per default

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Mar 31 15:45:43 CEST 2016

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:25:03 +0200
Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/31/16, Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
>
> >> Will all this mess go away if we would go the Delphi way
> >> (String=UnicodeString)?
> >> (I know *nix users are going to hate me now)
> >
> > Which mess do you mean?
> > As long as you have to consider codepages, you can get a mess.
>
> When you use UnicodeString everywhere and no AnsiString anywhere, then
> the only confusion left is Endianess,or am I (as one of the Universes
> idiots) oversimplifying here.

No, you are right. If you somehow(TM) achieve to work only with
UnicodeString you avoid the mess. The same if only use UTF-8 strings. Or
if you only work in system codepage like in TP 3.0 times.

The problem is that you often has to work with
databases/files/libs/etc in other encodings.
So there is always a little bit of mess.

Mattias