[Lazarus] System variables visibility

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Thu Mar 31 17:28:51 CEST 2016

On 03/31/2016 05:16 PM, John Landmesser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i developed an application ( Linux ) that need to know where
> $ORACLE_HOME points to.
>
> The only way was to start my app with a shell-script, defining:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> export ORACLE_HOME=/usr/lib/oracle/....
>
> # run my app
> Lazarus_Oracle_app
>
> Had no success defining this variable in bashrc or profile.
>
> But why do i have to define this in my start-script?

That's how unix works. Or add it to your start script or add
/usr/lib/oracle to the /etc/ld.so.conf, or in modern distros create file
in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/myoraclepath and put inside /usr/lib/oracle
And all of that is to satisfy LD_LIBRARY_PATH. ORACLE_HOME is oracle
only env variable, so maybe you must export it all the time via script
or add it to $HOME/.bashrc so it will be always exported after login.

zeljko