[Lazarus] Teaching Pascal at College

Paul Breneman list2010 at BrenemanLabs.com
Thu Nov 3 17:03:32 CET 2016

On 10/27/2016 11:15 AM, Paul Breneman via Lazarus wrote:
> On 10/25/2016 11:23 AM, Travis Ayres via Lazarus wrote:
>> So...who wants to work on a modern course outline with me? We have a
>> lot of
>> opinions and people willing to chime in, maybe we can do something
>> good for
>> the community?
>
> Some suggestions:
>
> 1) As the OP wrote (in a later message) "All my students will be civil,
> environmental or bio engineers but not computer engineers", I would
> recommend checking out SoftwareCarpentry.org (see links on home page
> www.ControlPascal.com ) which has been teaching basic programming to
> non-programmer engineers since 1998.  They've already done a *lot* of
> work that doesn't need to be repeated!  But a pascal version would be nice.
>
> 2) I just purchased the least expensive PicoScope which I hope to
> combine with the Basic Stamp kit (see top of this page):
>   http://www.controlpascal.com/tutorial.htm
>
> Instant gratification (blinking LEDs, switches to push) has worked for
> me and others.  One of my favorite college courses (in about 1981)
> combined programming and electronics, and after that I decided to jump
> into embedded programming (previously I did electronic work).
>
> Regards,
> Paul

I just added a link (to a recent magazine article on using a scope to
"see" Arduino timing) to the top of this page:
   http://controlpascal.com/tutorial.htm

Just trying to help increase embedded and hobby electronic use of Free
Pascal!  :)