[Lazarus] Memo.Lines.Add seems to be slow with Lazarus 1.6

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Fri Nov 4 08:35:17 CET 2016

On 03.11.2016 22:46, Michael W. Vogel via Lazarus wrote:
> 1. TextHint in Delphi is theme dependent and OS dependent (available
> for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or later), in Lazarus not. What is the
> desired behaviour?

TextHint in Lazarus should be OS independent (it was decided long time ago).

> 2. TextHint in a TMemo isn't shown in Delphi (of course the property
> TextHint is there and can be written and readed). In Lazarus it is
> sometimes shown but not correct removed, if a line is inserted by
> code. Should TextHint generally not be shown in a TMemo or the bugs
> removed?

The TextHint implementation should be completely rewritten. It shouldn't
use the text property but paint the TextHint onto the control by itself.
Windows can do that and Qt/Gtk2 should be able to do it as well (IIRC -
I talked about it with zeljko in Lazarus ML). For that some new virtual
paint method (PaintAfterInterface) should be introduced - that would
call the widgetset dependent PaintAfterInterface method.

Ondrej