[Lazarus] Help System with Chromium Embedded component

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Nov 8 11:42:10 CET 2016

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016, Lars via Lazarus wrote:

> On Mon, November 7, 2016 12:25 pm, vfclists . via Lazarus wrote:
>> I mean the latest thing now is
>> WebAssembly which shows how ridiculous the whole business has become.
>

> Web assembly, if designed properly, might actually get rid of some
> problems. Javascript is a large mammoth, or ugly beast. Web assembly may
> allow one to for example compile freepascal code directly to byte code
> that runs in the browser, instead of people using ugly obfuscated bloated
> javascript "hacks".
>
> It's sort of like a JVM bytecode, but for the web browser. Or a .net
> bytecode. I don't fully know what web assembly intends to be, as it's not
> completed yet fully, but, it may actually get rid of some of the
> javascript bloated crap out there.

I seriously doubt that. It's just something that will exist next to
javascript but in essence will perform the same tasks as javascript.
You can create relatively clean and structured javascript if you want.
It just requires discipline as the language doesn't enforce it.

The problem is IMHO not so much the language, but what you do with it.

> Lots of people may in fact ignore webassembly and continue to use
> javascript. God forbid.

Well, there is interest in a WebAssembly backend for FPC.
Someone is looking at it.
Just as we are working on a transpiler from Pascal to Javascript.

Michael.