[Lazarus] Help System with Chromium Embedded component

Lars noreply at z505.com
Wed Nov 9 06:20:15 CET 2016

On Tue, November 8, 2016 3:42 am, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> I seriously doubt that. It's just something that will exist next to
> javascript but in essence will perform the same tasks as javascript. You
> can create relatively clean and structured javascript if you want. It just
> requires discipline as the language doesn't enforce it.

I start off by writing some javascript and I think, hey this isn't so bad.
But eventually after about 10 paragraphs of code it starts to get ugly, no
matter what I try. That's why there is a book written called "Javascript,
the good parts" because it has become such a large mammoth that they
needed to write a book about a subset of java that may (or may not) be the
good parts. Whether those are the good parts or not, is still up for
debate, because I haven't read the book. If I had time..

> The problem is IMHO not so much the language, but what you do with it.

Okay but take brainf*ck language as an example. In this case the language
is in fact a serious problem.  Or take C++.  The language just encourages
you to do nasty things when you need/want to. In order to write sensible
looking C++ code you should... just use a subset of C++, such as C, and
avoid most C++ features. But then you call in some library and they are
using that feature, so, you have to use it too... the issue with
javascript is you pull in a lot of libraries that make use of the features
so you have to end up using them indirectly too.

Again, I guess I should read the book "Javascript the good parts" if I
have time.

> Well, there is interest in a WebAssembly backend for FPC.
> Someone is looking at it.
> Just as we are working on a transpiler from Pascal to Javascript.

That's good news, and I have no idea how you guys keep up with all this
crap that comes out every year. The work required to port fpc to all these
systems, whether virtual machines, or real machines, is enormous.

What ever happened to LLVM ? much interest? Yet another port to a virtual
machine.