[Lazarus] Lazarus and MySQL 5.7

Tue Nov 22 15:54:34 CET 2016

On 2016-11-22 13:53, Lars via Lazarus wrote:
> I first realized this when I needed a button that had new behavior in
> Delphi.. so I created my own. Then I realized that any time I install the
> IDE on a system, I now have the headache of having to install a non
> standard component in order to use it.

That comes down to the fact that the Delphi, Lazarus and MSEide built-in
form designers can't handle component that aren't registered with the
IDE.  You have no such problem with fpGUI's Visual Forms Designer.

[kind of off-topic to what I suggested in my previous post]

Either way, I don't think it is that bad using custom components you
wrote, based on standard components. Such components source code will
normally be included with your own applications so no problems compiling
the app.

Using 100's of 3rd party components (so often seen in Delphi projects)
is a timebomb though. Even worse, if you didn't have the full source
code of those 3rd party components. We got bitten badly by that in the
D7 and Kylix 3 days.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/