[Lazarus] Teaching Pascal at College

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 03:32:26 CEST 2016

-------------

> How I got rid of my bad habits when I first learned delphi: I started
> writing console apps with no object oriented programming, no events, and
> learned that not everything is a click event in computer programming.

-------------

My opinion is that the above ideas are really very good to be applied
during teaching :
First , teach language on , let's say , "atomic" problems . Then , use
these "atomic" concepts in further problems either embedded in a GUI or
console program .

One obvious point is that an "event" driven programming knowledge is a must
to become a competent programmer . The problem is how this can be learned .
Without knowing how to program an algorithm when a related event is
occurred , will bring any one to nothing means ( not to a success ) .

-------------

-------------

> Of course, also learning other programming languages helps (although, IMO
> learning too many brain dead languages and hip cool ones will not help, as
> much as others claim... Basic programmers from the 80's or 70's still
> think in GOTO's and line numbers)
> --

-------------

With respect to researches ( I am not able to supply links now because this
view is based on old times readings , but I am sure that such research
findings can be found ) ,

people ( mostly ) uses a "primary" language for her/his profession and a
"secondary" language for some her/his works as an additional tool .

This shows that during teaching , this feature should be taken into
consideration : Guide the students to discover which language she/he will
prefer to use in much of her/his works , and attempt to teach that language
in a "best" way to be used by the students in their profession .

A similar approach should also be used for a "secondary" language .

If a language is taught just for fun or whatever else other than being a
possible candidate for "primary" or "secondary" is likely that , if it not
a necessity for the learner , is only a waste of everything is involved .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk