[Lazarus] How to use strings properly with fixes_1_6 and FPC 3.0.0?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Oct 22 22:38:35 CEST 2016

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 12:13:04 +0200
Jürgen Hestermann via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

> Am 2016-10-22 um 10:53 schrieb Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus:
>  > Maybe you mean ligatures? Many languages have them, even German:
>  > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature
>
> I thought that ligatures are just a matter of the font
> but not the unicode representation?
> When I write a text which contains the two letters "fi"
> they should be two separate characters in my unicode string
> no matter whether they will be printed as a ligature  on the printer or screen.
> So ligatures should not influence string encoding in FPC.
> Or am I missing something here?

Ligatures are a group of different issues.
The "fi" ligature is a "stylistic ligature", aka just a font
issue and as such is always represented by the two Unicode codepoints.

The wiki page describes various other types of ligatures, where the
Unicode representation can vary.

Languages don't care about programmers.

Mattias