[Lazarus] Chromium embedded on freebsd or firefox embedded

Lars noreply at z505.com
Sun Oct 30 22:31:55 CET 2016

On Mon, October 24, 2016 5:33 am, José Mejuto via Lazarus wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Yes, currently Chromium seems to be better, but anyway it will need a
> lot of work starting from the CEF as if my brain serves me CEF API is C++
> so you will find the same problem as Qt interface, a very big DLL/so to
> convert C++ to plain C functions that will need a quite good maintain.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/fpCEF3

I was under the impression someone had already done a lot of the work
already porting all the C++ code...

Just wondered if it was usable on BD or mostly focused on Windows and
linux... also macosx interests me.

>> I wonder how often chromium embedded breaks their api, or changes the
>> V8
>> engine so that old stuff no longer works.
>
> As far as I know it is quite stable now.

Just found out that some things in CEF1 are no longer working in CEF3:
example: they removed the Listener functions which were really useful, now
you have to use javascript listener code instead. So they have broken some
stuff from CEF1 to CEF3 but probably not nearly as broken as firefox
embedded! This is because firefox never started out as a multi process
browser, whereas chromium had a head start on multi process.

>> One thing I'd really like is a single DLL to ship with an application
>> instead of mounds and mounds of files that these embedded solutions
>> require. However I guess that's not going to happen.
>
> No for sure, that will not happen :) unless you use some dirty tricks.
> In the past I was able to "inject" 3 or 4 DLLs in my EXE and use them,
> but only in 32 bits Windows and I was unable to port the code to the 64
> bits windows loader (it basically performs the same actions Windows do
> when load a DLL from disk, but the function loads it from a resource and
> adjust the call pointers and other things as Windows will do it).
>
> Of course that method will not with all DLLs.

Interesting, I've heard of similar delphi tricks before of embedding exe's
or dll's inside exe's in order to ship a single binary .. In fact this
brings back nostalgia of reading about it 10-14 years ago.