[Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 18:47:47 CEST 2017

> On 2017-04-12 09:15, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:
>>

>> GitHub is absolutely fine with uploading binary packages as a release.
>> You can make a release on GitHub where a specific version of your
>> source is accompanied by your binaries.
>> https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases/
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michalis
>

> I've heard mixed reviews on whether github can be used like a sourceforge
> distribution of downloads.. for example quotes like this exist on the
> internet :
>
> "Also, GitHub repos do have limits. You cannot use a repo like a file
> distribution service. GitHub will notice and shutdown the account especially
> if it affects other repositories."
>
> However, Github can change their policies over time.
>
> Source of quote:
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/3028174/open-source-tools/what-would-you-do-if-github-shut-down-tomorrow.html

Your quote suggests that someone committed large files to his/her GIT
repository. This is not a good practice -- aside from GitHub disk
space, it makes cloning the repository troublesome (you download all
the binaries then, across all the history, by default).

The solution is to follow both GitHub guidelines and general version
control systems (GIT or not GIT) guidelines, and do not commit your
large binary files to the repository.

This is not how to you make a release on GitHub, see
https://help.github.com/articles/creating-releases/ -- you upload
binary files using a separate form in that case. This is also the
advised way by GitHub to distribute large files:
https://help.github.com/articles/distributing-large-binaries/

Note that I'm in no way an unconditional fan of GitHub (or GIT, for
that matter:). I'm only reading GitHub docs and concluding that they
are fine with binary releases, when done using their "upload a
release" system.

P.S. Cc back to the Lazarus list:)

Regards,
Michalis