[Lazarus] String vs WideString

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:49:58 CEST 2017

Am 14.08.2017 16:21 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus" <
lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>:

> On 2017-08-14 15:11, Tony Whyman via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> ambiguous a term - especially as the Delphi/FPC UnicodeString type
>> exists and probably (but I'm not certain)  means UTF-16.
>

> Yes, that is f**ken annoying. FPC should have named it what it really is
- UTF16String! But instead they followed Delphi like a lemming and named it
UnicodeString.

Because the crowd demanding Delphi compatibility is larger than the crowd
demanding exact terminology.

> In reality, UNICODE means text with an encoding of any of UTF-8,
UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE, or UTF-32.

> In terms of Delphi and FPC, they decided Unicode = UTF-16. I'm not even
sure if they mean LE or BE.

If I remember correctly it depends on the endianess of the platform...
Though I could be wrong.

Regards,
Sven