[Lazarus] String vs WideString

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Aug 15 16:44:30 CEST 2017

On 15.08.2017 14:53, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
> Do you mean a 'char' is a string in your proposal?
Nope. In my proposal there would be Chars for any statically encoded
String Type, hence 1, 2, 4, and 8 byte wide. (As regarding statically
encoded string (and char) brands, it's just an extension of the existing
paradigm.

I did not think about the necessity to also have a dynamically encoded
Char type. If yes, it (like a string) would need the additional fields
for encoding number and bytes_per_char, and the appropriate compiler
magic to handle them appropriately (workalike to a on-element string).

-Michael