[Lazarus] String vs WideString

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Tue Aug 15 21:22:10 CEST 2017

El 15/08/17 a les 21:14, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus ha escrit:
> On 2017-08-15 18:29, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
>> but for 3rd party libraries/components (e.g.
>> synapse comes to mind
>
> Then better start filing bug reports to all those 3rd party libraries
> and components - they have been abusing the system and will silently
> fail. Not to mention that FPC is almost at v3.0.4 and the new string
> changes were introduced in v3.0.0 already.

Wait a minute, why "abuse"?
After all, before code aware strings, an ansistring could store any kind
of arbitrary data with no problem and no conversion, and made it
extremely easy to, e.g., add bytes to a buffer or find and extract data
from the same buffer.
*If* code that worked before (and dare I say without abusing the
language) suddenly breaks, the bug is in the compiler and not in the
library.
(I remarked the "if" because I don't know if that's the case, according
to Bo Berglund's experience it is)

Bye

--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007