[Lazarus] String vs WideString

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 11:12:20 CEST 2017

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus
> Unicode everywhere and you using AnsiString and doing everything...
> Now I'm confused.

Yes, please read:
 http://wiki.freepascal.org/Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus
I have advertised it so much that some people are already irritated,
but maybe you missed it so far.

> FPC and Lazarus claim they are cross-platform — this is a fact — and
> because that, IMHO, both should be use in only one way in every
> system, don't you think?

Yes, and that's how it works.

> This is a ugly trick... but I understood what you mean.

This was about the explicit temporary UnicodeString variable for
WinAPI call parameters.
No, it is not ugly, the code remains 100% compatible with Delphi.
Please remember also that direct WinAPI call are not needed in
cross-platform code.

Juha