[Lazarus] dynamic string proposal

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Aug 16 13:47:26 CEST 2017

On 16.08.2017 13:17, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
> You are confusing people if you name your encodings like this.
There also is no "official" Code pages named "Default" or "None", the
naming "CP_DEFAULT" and "CP_NONE" has just been invented by Emparcadero.

So I did the same and just brainlessly extended the existing "CP..."
naming scheme.
> Your "dynamicstring" supports char, widechar, byte, word, dword, qword.
> Why not shortint or smallint?
> Why not boolean, single and variant?
As pointed out this is just a draft of a proposal, prone to enhancement
and improvement.

> What is the intention of your proposal?

That is given in the instructional paragraph "The problem":
"The most obvious candidate for pain on that behalf is “TStrings”.

Only a fully dynamically encoded version of TStrings and friends would
allow for a solution for many string encoding related problems, as the
user can't modify the string encoding brand TStrings uses and hence will
face the described problems when he uses TStrings with all but one of
the String encoding brandings he can choose from.

Enhancing the count of available encoding brandings is just a logical
consequence of a less problem prone and more versatile (not implicitly
restricted to printable text) overall string handling.

-Michael (It's rather frustrating to discuss that obviously never will
happen :-()