[Lazarus] dynamic string proposal

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 21:44:49 CEST 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Martin Frb via Lazarus
>> I know CodeUnit and CodePoint are not called "character" officially by
>> the Unicode Standard.
>> They however are called "character" in normal communication.
>
> And that is where the problem starts.

Exactly. Discussions where the word "character" is used are very vague
and inaccurate.

> So using "char" (the type) as reference to "codepoint" is something we have
> to do, because today the type "char" is for codepoints.

Sorry I didn't understand this one.
"Char" (the type) holds a codeunit, not a codepoint. Char is either 1
byte or 2 bytes depending on if it maps to AnsiChar or WideChar, for
UTF-8 or UTF-16 respectively.

Juha