[Lazarus] External/out-of-tree LCL widgetset

Tue Dec 5 00:50:19 CET 2017

On 2017-12-02 14:48, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:
> I think you misunderstand me. I said "RAD is the best way to code a
> GUI", the visual part, not the business rules.

For that you just need a visual form designer. RAD normally entails a
whole lot else like hooking into events (in the UI), live view of data
in form designer (using eg: a TDBGrid) etc.

> I don't use db-aware — well only TDBGrid just to show data

And DBGrid behaves slightly different to TStringGrid, and is slow. Many
DB-aware components behave slightly different to the non DB-aware
versions. Why two sets of basically the same component? Yet another
layer of components that can contain bugs. With Model-GUI-Mediator you
use the standard components only, and the mediators are literally just a
few lines of code. The rest of MGM (at least the implementation in
tiOPF) is all non-GUI and well unit tested.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/