[Lazarus] "Character" -> "Codepoint" in LazUTF8 function names

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 20:52:56 CET 2017

On 12/12/17 16:00, Juha Manninen via Lazarus wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd via Lazarus<lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:> I think it was IBM introduced the term no later than the 80s when people> started using codepages. It might have been related to CUA, and it was used> in the context of both ASCII and EBCDIC.
> Ok, I learn new things every day. :)

:-) It might go back at least as far as IBM's GDDM from 1979. In IBM's
context, I think a codepoint would have represented a numeric value
which was translated by lookup in a (single- or double-byte) codepage to
a glyph, with the obvious gross differences depending on whether the
codepage family was ASCII or EBCDIC. I think Unicode usage is fairly
consistent with that, assuming that codepage lookup was brushed under
the carpet as a manufacturer-specific detail.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk