[Lazarus] Semicolon checking

Lars noreply at z505.com
Mon Jan 16 08:13:07 CET 2017

On Sun, January 15, 2017 3:30 pm, Vojtěch Čihák via Lazarus wrote:
> Hello, has Lazarus (CodeTools) or FPC some checking for empty commands? I
> accidentally did this stupid mistake:
> if ... then begin
>
>   end else;
>   begin
>     exit;
>   end;

Yikes! I think you just discovered a bug in the pascal language itself
that was not thought of... as when using a text editor it's easy to leave
a semi colon laying around by accident some times.

I wonder if Oberon solves this issue, or semi-colon-less languages have
any advantage.  If you remove the begin from a language (Wirth did in his
later languages) you get rid of some issues.