[Lazarus] Congrats to the FPC/Lazarus projects - job well done!

Mon Jul 24 16:42:06 CEST 2017

On 2017-07-24 03:39, Lars via Lazarus wrote:
> Wirth's law applies, if you know it... As computers get faster, software
> gets more bloated and computers cannot keep up with the software bloat.

Indeed, and it doesn't only seem to apply to Windows software. Linux and
FreeBSD software are affected too. Just last week I tried FreeBSD's
"native GUI desktop environment" called Lumina, which includes a file
manager application. By pure chance I ran htop and noticed the Lumina
file manager uses 500MB RAM. I promptly switched back to PCManFM (a
generic GTK2 base app) which has exactly the same functionality, but
uses only 45MB RAM. And then FreeBSD wants to make PCManFM obsolete -
what the hell!

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/