[Lazarus] Animation library

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Thu Mar 9 17:11:48 CET 2017

On 2017-03-08 13:08, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> VM's also give you a lot of piece-of-mind. If your real hardware fails,
> move the VM to any other system and continue where you left off -
> hardly
> any down time. I regularly make backup copies or take snapshots of my
> VM's too. Snapshots are very handy for experimentation.

Except for the fact that VM's suffer from corrupt hard drive file
problem. All your files are stored in a file, which is extremely
dangerous compared to having files stored as separate files. If one
little bit is f**ked in that hard  drive disk image file, all your work
is lost, unless you can magically hack the file yourself into good shape
which is equivalent of trying to make a square become a circle :-)

This is the only real thing stopping me from using vm's more often is if
I save any work to the VM disk image, it scares me that the disk image
could become corrupt. You could back it up daily to GIT I suppose, but
that would be a massive file to upload to git... way too big... Maybe on
a local git server in your home with a 1000 speed network card instead
of 10/100

> Speaking of emulators, FreeBSD also includes a Linux Emulator (an
> actual
> CentOS 6.6 install I believe), so you can run FreeBSD, Windows and
> Linux
> applications without firing up a VM. Pretty neat!

OpenBSD also allowed you to run Linux exe's (elfs) AFAIR in some kind of
linux jail on the system.

Too bad OpenBSD developers are a bunch of criminal twats who stalk and
taunt people, along with restricting speech on their mailing lists. To
keep this post on topic, I did want Lazarus to run on OpenBSD , not sure
if any progress has been made there. I know some efforts were made to
get fpc working. But now I could care less.