[Lazarus] Making sources compatible with Delphi (but Lazarus is priority)

Fri May 5 11:56:41 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-05 10:41, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
> I wonder what they do when you need to access the raw 8-bit file names,

OSX, iOS, Android and Linux all use UTF-8 as standard, so filename access
is not going to be any problem. Windows is moving more and more towards
UTF-16 everywhere, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

> or work with large amount of 8-bit strings.

Why would you want to? Unicode supports all languages, there simply is no
need for other non-Unicode encodings any more. If it is memory usage
you are worried about, convert your 8-bit strings as UTF-8 encoded text
(most Western countries text will all use low memory then - compared to
UTF-16 as an alternative).

Java has only supported Unicode since its inception in 1995, and Java runs
everywhere. It's never had a problem running on non-Unicode enabled
platforms.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/