[Lazarus] Making sources compatible with Delphi (but Lazarus is priority)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri May 5 13:29:01 CEST 2017

On Fri, 5 May 2017, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> On Fri, 5 May 2017 12:52:48 +0200 (CEST)
> Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I propose to let the compiler observe the BOM.
>> But I don't think more is needed.
>
> FPC observes the BOM. Same as Delphi.

Then what is still the problem ?

> I wonder if it would help if FPC would store UTF-8 string literals as
> UTF-8 and how much work that is.

Amount of work is probably not so much.

The question is whether it will cause problems for e.g. the JVM code
generator.

But I still fail to see the actual problem, aside from a lot of confusion by
users.

Confusion arises from a lack of clear information.

So in my opinion, we simply need to provide clear information, before we
start changing things.

Michael.