[Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Joe Special at Joepgen.com
Thu May 18 01:34:54 CEST 2017

Am 18.05.2017 um 00:30 schrieb Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus:
> On Wed, 17 May 2017 22:27:20 +0200
> Joe via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Is this the correct way to report my finding? As a non professional I am
>> not sure.
>>
>> Lazarus 1.8 RC1 under Win 10 (64):
> Yes, although this is more exact:
> Help / About Lazarus / Right mouse click on logo / Copy version info to
> clipboard.
>

>> "GetEnvironmentVariable('computername')" doesn't work.
>> When compiling, it returns "Error: Wrong number of Parameters specified
>> for call to GetEnvironmentVariable".
> The SysUtils GetEnvironmentVariable expects one string. So, maybe you
> have somewhere another GetEnvironmentVariable?
> Use Find Declaration to find out.
>
> Mattias

Mattias,

Find Declaration shows two entries in file osutilsh.inc, lines 25 and 26:
Function GetEnvironmentVariable(Const EnvVar : AnsiString) : AnsiString;
Function GetEnvironmentVariable(Const EnvVar : UnicodeString) :
UnicodeString;

But Code Completion offers three functions named GetEnvironmentVariable:
The Ansistring function and the Unicode String function above plus
"GetEnvironmentVariable(lpName: LPCSTR; lpBuffer: LPSTR; nSize: DWORD):
DWORD".

Seems, Lazarus tries to use only the latter.

No, I don't have another GetEnvironmentVariable.

You can reproduce this easily:
Put a TButton Button1 on a form.
In the OnClick Event for this button write "Button1.Caption :=
GetEnvironmentVariable ('computername');"

Version Info (Thank you for this hint):
Lazarus 1.8.0RC1 r54919 FPC 3.0.2 x86_64-win64-win32/win64

Joe