[Lazarus] PlotFunction patch declined?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Nov 7 12:50:40 CET 2017

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017, Werner Pamler via Lazarus wrote:

> Am 07.11.2017 um 11:53 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus:
>> Are you going to make sure TAChart can do the plot during design-time ?
>
> I am working at it, there are issues with registration of the new
> TExpressionSeries from a separate package (it's not in trunk, yet).
>
> But anyway: why is the designtime argument so important to you?

I am _very_ surprised by this question.

Because Lazarus is RAD, obviously ? No-code development ?

> ExpressionPanel cannot plot a function as simple as "sin(x)" at
> designtime because bcMath is not added to the Builtins of the parser.
> And if it were, other similarly simple functions such as "tan(x)" would
> not work because they are not registered. So, the designtime argument
> has only very limited weight.

In your eyes, yes. In my eyes, this is _the_ argument:

TDataset has the possibility to show the data at design time.
In it's day, this was revolutionary, and still today - 20 years after the
introduction there are very little environments that can repeat this.
(in fact, I know of none)

The same applies for plotpanel.

If TAChart cannot show a series in designtime, then that is a huge
shortcoming in my eyes.
(Never having used TAChart, I don't know if it can or not,
  this is a hypothetical statement)

> But of course, there is always the
> possibility that I am missing some features of the fpexprparser.

No, you are not missing it.

I see that I missed to commit a patch to plotpanel, because here sin(x) works.
I have too many unfinished patches in my source tree :/

Should I still commit it, or it is not necessary any more ?

Michael.