[Lazarus] External/out-of-tree LCL widgetset

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 18:32:21 CET 2017

@Stephane:
@Sven:
I know about fpGUI (Sven i assume you mean that), but i am already working
on a widget toolkit for a few years now which is written in C and if i'm
going to work on a custom widgetset might as well make it target the one
i'm already working on which is used by some other stuff i am doing to keep
things consistent.

Also AFAIK fpGUI doesn't use the native window system beyond the toplevel
windows, which i think would make OpenGL support and interfacing with
external stuff (e.g. calling an external library where you pass a HWND/X11
Window directly) harder.

As i said, i do not think this would be useful enough to others to be part
of the Lazarus tree. I ask because i remember a few months ago someone
having an Amiga widgetset pretty much in working condition and that was
something he worked on for a while, so i wondered if there was some
mechanism for that. I suppose just having a big patch would also work,
although it is kind of inconvenient.

@Martin:
AFAIK MSEgui doesn't have an LCL widgetset. Most of my code is LCL specific
and my concern is to keep using that code. If i am to rewrite it, might as
well rewrite it in C.