[Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Oct 13 09:58:45 CEST 2017

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:39:44 -0400
Donald Ziesig via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>[...]
> I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives)
> in the past and never had a problem like this.
>
> I validated the checksums on all three files.
>
> Then I double clicked on /home/donz/Downloads/fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb to
> activate "Package Installer".  Then clicked "Install Package".  Result
> seems to be success (but with no sign of the compiler).  What is the
> standard path for the installation?

Same as for 3.0.0 and 3.0.2:
/usr/lib/fpc/<version>/

What do you get when doing "dpkg -l | grep fpc"?

I got the opposite on a fresh Linux Mint 18: When using the command line directly there was
no error. When using the graphical installer the installation showed a
conflict error, but the package was installed successfully.

dpkg -i fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb

>[...]
> I am about to remove all vestiges of Lazarus and FPC from my system and
> start over, but I really would like to know what is going wrong before I
> do. :'(

Probably the old 3.0.2 packages bite the new.

Mattias