[Lazarus] Installation of 1.8 RC4 fails.

Donald Ziesig donald at ziesig.org
Fri Oct 13 23:28:34 CEST 2017

On 10/13/2017 03:58 AM, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:39:44 -0400
> Donald Ziesig via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I've done this many times over on many machines (all Debian derivatives)
>> in the past and never had a problem like this.
>>
>> I validated the checksums on all three files.
>>
>> Then I double clicked on /home/donz/Downloads/fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb to
>> activate "Package Installer".  Then clicked "Install Package".  Result
>> seems to be success (but with no sign of the compiler).  What is the
>> standard path for the installation?
> Same as for 3.0.0 and 3.0.2:
> /usr/lib/fpc/<version>/
>
> What do you get when doing "dpkg -l | grep fpc"?
>
> I got the opposite on a fresh Linux Mint 18: When using the command line directly there was
> no error. When using the graphical installer the installation showed a
> conflict error, but the package was installed successfully.
>
> dpkg -i fpc_3.0.4-rc1_amd64.deb
>

>> [...]
>> I am about to remove all vestiges of Lazarus and FPC from my system and
>> start over, but I really would like to know what is going wrong before I
>> do. :'(
> Probably the old 3.0.2 packages bite the new.
>
> Mattias

Mattias,

I got it installed! 8-). The problem I had was with a bunch of
fp-*-3.0.0 packages that were not removed when I uninstalled 1.6.2 and
fpc 3.0.0.  They did not show up in any of the gui package managers
either.  Only when I tried to install 3.0.4 was the fp-compiler-3.0.0*
shown in the error messages.  I removed it and another fp-* package was
reported.  I finally had to remove each of them individually (about 10
or 12), then log out and back in (I think that cleared some kind of
cache, but that is speculation on my part).  I was finally able to
install fpc 3.0.4 and lazarus 1.8RC5.

So far it looks good.  Now I have to install all my components, then
resume work on my current project (as a guinea pig for RC5).

Thanks for the help.

Don