[Lazarus] lazopenglcontext on Raspberry Pi?

Anthony Tekatch anthony at unihedron.com
Sun Oct 22 17:51:38 CEST 2017

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 22:03:34 -0400, Anthony Walter via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

> I've done a bit of work on Pi and OpenGL and thought I'd give you some
> advice.
>
> 1) Pi only supports OpenGL ES contexts
>
> 2) Depending on your raspberry OS configuration, OpenGL ES might only be
> supported when X window manager is not running.
>
> 2a) Raspbian defaults to allow OpenGL in with X window manager running,
> but currently the actual driver does not function to the correct OpenGL
> ES specifications under that situation.
>
> For me personally, I configured Raspbian to use the correct OpenGL ES
> specifications, and that means the driver will fail to create a GL
> context if X windows is running. Don't ask me what the differences are,
> I really don't want to bother researching it, but there are problems.
> I've posted about it extensively on the Pi support forums and under Pi
> area of the new SDL forum.

Thank you for the notes:

My application only used OpenGL as an unnecessary side offering, so after
removing all the OpenGL references, I was able to get the application to
run.

I did end up with the following error after trying to compile:
  Error: Can't call the assembler, error -1 switching to external assembling
I solved that by reading some other postings where you suggested to
reduce the GPU memory which I did as follows:
  Raspberry menu ->
   Raspberry Pi Configuration ->
    Performance ->
     GPU Memory = 32 (from 64).

I'd still like to get opengl working with my application on the RPi one
day, but it is not critical for me.

Thanks,
Anthony