[Lazarus] Who is using Object Pascal in production?

Daithi Haxton dave at haxton.org
Sat Oct 28 15:18:04 CEST 2017

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 9:35 PM, Fabio Luis Girardi via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
> Em 27 de out de 2017 21:58, "Daithi Haxton via Lazarus" <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org <mailto:lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>> escreveu:
>
> > On Oct 27, 2017, at 8:26 AM, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org <mailto:lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to propose a discussion about "What is the relevance of
> > Object Pascal nowadays".
> > I don't want waste your time. I just want to know if we are growing
> > and being more relevant or not.
> >

> We use Lazarus/Free Pascal to build all of our production applications. These are basically instrumentation packages and data loggers for large machines used in automotive manufacturing and quality control. It’s cross platform (Linux/Windows), fast and easy to use and maintain. What’s not to like?
>

> Hi Dave!
>
> What devices/plc/protocols you are using on your dataloggers?

Our devices are mostly proprietary DSP boards, usually connected via USB but sometimes still serial (Synapse is a great lib for the latter, BTW). We use mostly AB PLC’s, but sometimes Mitsubishi or Siemens, and we communicate to them either via a vendor communication tool (DDE and RS-LINX or TopServer) or  using the excellent libplctag (see github) to talk directly.
 We’ve looked as Pascal SCADA for HMI work, and will be investigating it further in the future, I can assure you.
The other really nice thing about using Lazarus in our context is the ability to load the development environment directly onto the target machine and debug in a real environment -  with Visual Studio or other commercial tools that’s just not practical due to licensing/cost.

Be well,
Dave H.