[Lazarus] Cool IDE add-on idea

R0b0t1 r030t1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 20:22:12 CEST 2018

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Santiago A. via Lazarus
> These studies show that the most efficient is toolbar; second, keyboard
> shortcuts; third, second level menu option. With the objection that
> shortcuts needs a lot of practice to be better than menu.

How well did those studies account for potentially incomparable
workflows? I think I agree with what I think to be their conclusion -
if you have two similar workflows, graphical navigation may be faster,
because it is easier to guide thought with.

But what if I can skip all of the intermediate steps and go straight
to the action? Lots of CLI interfaces especially are domain specific
languages, and the actions can be encoded into key combinations.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:28 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus
> Saying that, designing a UI in Lazarus or Delphi is obviously faster
> with a mouse. ;-) But I also know of layout managers in Java where
> visual designers are not needed, and you can knock-up a well designed
> and scalable UI in no time using only code (eg: MiG Layout).
>
> Back to Lazarus - there are some dialogs that totally annoying me
> because they were not designed with keyboard users in mind. ie: Wrong
> default actions, or no default actions, wrong default focus item,
> incorrect tab order etc. The "Source -> Enclose in IFDEF" dialog comes
> to mind. The Package windows too. Some of these I have tweaked locally
> to suite my needs better - that goodness for open source projects. Hell,
> you can't even configure/customise shortcuts in Delphi IDE!!!

The things in the last paragraph especially are what I do not like. It
may be that taking inspiration from either Visual Studio or JetBrains
IDEs would be a good idea.

I am willing to help, but not very familiar with the Lazarus codebase.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1