[Lazarus] Cool IDE add-on idea

Ondrej Pokorny lazarus at kluug.net
Tue Apr 24 22:14:53 CEST 2018

On 24.04.2018 21:41, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> On 2018-04-24 19:36, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus wrote:
>>> The "Source -> Enclose in IFDEF" dialog comes to mind.
>> I don't see a problem here. Can you be specific?
> I've just retested with Lazarus Trunk, and indeed it is keyboard
> friendly now. It definitely wasn't so before. Not sure when it got
> improved, but I'm very glad it is. I'll start using it again.

Yes, people have actually improved many dialog's UX. AlexeyT has been
one of them.

>>> The Package windows too.
>> This one is better to be used with mouse. Honestly, I don't know how you
>> want to redesign it to be usable with the keyboard.
> The ability to quickly search and open a package (probably project
> dependies only) and then be able to quickly do actions like Build,
> Search for unit etc.

For "Search for unit" there is a new feature in trunk: Menu -> File ->
Open Unit. It lists all available units for current file that you can
quickly open.

Maybe you can use it instead.

> And the ability to switch back to the main editor
> windows again.
>
> Currently I can't tab between toolbar buttons, can't trigger the "More"
> dropdown.

Unfortunately that's how the TToolBar works. No chance to change it.
We'd need a new toolbar component that would accept focus for the tool
buttons.

> I can't even figure out how to tab between IDE windows (I can
> tab between ALL applications currently open, but not just Lazarus).

I don't know about other OS than Windows, but it is indeed not possible
yet (on Windows). For now, you have to declare a shortcut to show/focus
a specific IDE window.

But it should be easily possible to add support for this. E.g. take a
look how the tabbing through recent editor files is done (Ctrl+~,
Ctrl+Shift+~). A similar function could be easily adapted to tab through
open IDE windows as well.

Ondrej