[Lazarus] Doe fpc/lazarus already have System-Threading or is it planned

Zoë Peterson zoe at scootersoftware.com
Fri Feb 2 21:08:40 CET 2018

On 2/2/2018 1:37 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
> I've been looking for a replacement to
> http://www.omnithreadlibrary.com/ for a long time. If I remember, the
> dealbreaker is the library's codebase making heavy use of anonymous
> functions and procedures.

Yeah, OTL requires anonymous methods.  I was hoping to port it to FPC
once the anonymous method support landed, but AFAICT the cross platform
port got pushed into OTL v4 and it looks like that stalled a year ago.

> Does System.Threading expose an API that could take either code
> references or anonymous methods? I'm very interested.

Yes, System.Threading has both "reference to procedure" and "procedure
of object" overloads in the API, so you could implement most of it in
the current FPC release.  As Sven said, though, no one has started on
it, and anyone who did work on it would have to be careful to not taint
it with code from Delphi's implementation.

--
Zoë Peterson
Scooter Software