[Lazarus] Any tips to speed up Lazarus->GDB debugger?

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Thu Jan 11 17:59:40 CET 2018

On 11/01/2018 15:13, Dennis via Lazarus wrote:
> I am using Lazarus 1.8 Win64 , FPC 3.0.4.
> As with older versions, debugger is very slow (compared to Delphi).
>
> Is there any tricks I can use to speed up the debugger e.g. turn off
> debug info of all lazarus units/object files?
>
> I remember in Delphi 5, they had an option of whether to use Debug dcu
> (of the main VCL units/objects files).
> Is there a similar switch I can use to disable debugger in all, except
> my own source code so as to speed up the debugger?

Not really...

There is the fpdebug package (its part of the install). It is faster,
but very basic, and many things do not work at all.

Well depends what you want to speed up.

The time F9 needs to start your app? Sorry nothing can be done.
Same for stepping with F7/F8.

Note, you can do the next step, before all your watches have been
evaluated.
If you find it irritating to wait for those, you can open the history,
stack and watches window, and use the power button to power them off.

Evaluation of watches.
You can compile with DBG_WITH_GDB_WATCHES
Then you can add watches as follow
 >-data-evaluate-expression SomeVariable

If you have lots of watches, you should notice that they evaluate faster.
But the IDE will no longer try to deal with the pascal syntax. So you
may have to add deref of some hidden refs yourself.