[Lazarus] Recommended practices for Win / Linux development.

R0b0t1 r030t1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 02:38:05 CET 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 6:16 PM, Donald Ziesig via Lazarus
> Hi Everyone!
>
> A long time ago, I tried to develop common software for Windows and Linux.
> I remember having problems keeping the object files, etc, separated so that
> the two versions of Lazarus would re-compile the appropriate files.  I have
> been working almost exclusively on Linux since then, but now I need to use
> both with shared source code files.

Can you try to remember what happened?

> Are there any recommended practices for setting up Lazarus and various
> directories that would make this easier?

I helped work on a program that was used heavily on both Windows and
Linux. We typically did not need to do anything special; as mentioned,
the output directories include the target platform. The biggest issue
we had was that we used a fair number of non-Lazarus/FPC dependencies,
and it ended up being easier, in general, to produce complete
installations for Windows from Windows in a lot of cases.

But compiling and cross compiling worked fine. In fact, Lazarus/FPC
was the only environment we found or that I know about today that
handles platform differences so well.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1