[Lazarus] Searchable docs online

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jul 5 23:51:56 CEST 2018

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018, Ryan Joseph via Lazarus wrote:

>> On Jul 5, 2018, at 7:50 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>>
>> https://www.freepascal.org/docsearch/docsearch.html
>
> Great start, I would have used it this morning if I knew it was here.
>
> 1) where is the source? I’ve never seen a FPC CGI program and I’m curious/willing to contribute.

I will commit it tomorrow and post the location.

> 2) The sorting isn’t what I’d expect. For example search for “TFPGObjectList” and I would expect to see the class reference as the top result (tfpgobjectlist.html) but instead it’s lower down and preceded by methods. Can this be fixed?

As said, the ranking is based on the number of occurrences of the word in a
page. The search engine has no semantic knowledge of the structure of the
documentation, it is a simple text search engine.

But conceivably, other mechanisms can be added to change the ranking.

Mihcael.