[Lazarus] error code "Can't load default MySQL library("libmysqlclient.so.20" or "libmysqlclient.so"). Check your installation.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri May 25 07:35:36 CEST 2018

On Thu, 24 May 2018, Larry Dalton via Lazarus wrote:

> My application was compiled on lazarus 1.8.2, along with mysql 5.7, running
> on linux 17.2. I have verified that both libmysqlclient.so and
> libmysqlclient.so.20 are in the unit directory that holds the executable
> program. I still get the above error when trying to access the mysql
> database.

It must not be in the program directory. By default, the linux loader does
not search in the program directory, that only happens on Windows.

Normally, the mysql library is in the /usr/lib/* directory. That is where
the loader will look for it.

Did you install the mysql-dev package ? In that case, there should be a
symlink libmysqlclient.so to libmysqlclient.so.20 in /usr/lib/ and the
program should start.

Michael.