[Lazarus] what can we do to get a better debugger

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Nov 21 13:08:01 CET 2018

Op 20-11-18 om 12:19 schreef Martin Frb via lazarus:
> On 20/11/2018 11:37, Dennis via lazarus wrote:
>> FPC and Lazarus are great but the GDB is inadequate.
>> Many times in my development, GDB failed or crashed, especially when I
>> am debugging multi thread programs.
>>
>> Shall we start a fund raising event to raise fund for a new and better
>> debugger for FPC + Lazarus? (provided there are talents out there who
>> would do implement it).
>
> That work is already in process (though very slowly / work has
> started/stopped plenty of times over the past many years). It is called
> FpDebug.
> Donations are still welcome.
> Under Windows and Linux you can install the package LazDebuggerFp. (You
> can do on Mac too, but then you need to codesign the entire IDE).
> Best use Lazarus trunk (it is already ahead of fixes 2.0 branch, but by
> very little only)

You do not have to sign the ide. You can use FpDebug as external
debugger, then you only have to sigh the FpDebug executable itself.

> Support for threaded apps in fpdebug is not yet there.
> Under Linux only the main thread is debugged. Windows has bare minimum
> (and untested) support for dealing with threads.

Strange, debugging threads works fine. At least on Linux and OS/X. There
were some memory-leaks in the show-threads window, though. I've asked
you to look at it.

Everyone who wants to help improving the debugger, should stop working
with gdb and install fpdebug. And start filling bugs. Fpdebug is already
better in many aspects then gdb, only now and then I have to switch back
to gdb.

Regards,

Joost.