[Lazarus] Installed lazarus-ide in Ubuntu18, cannot install package

Teresa Williams teresa.williams at gmx.us
Wed Oct 24 03:57:28 CEST 2018

> Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM
> From: "Juha Manninen via Lazarus" <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org>
> Cc: "Juha Manninen" <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] Installed lazarus-ide in Ubuntu18, cannot install package
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:43 PM Bo Berglund via Lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
> > lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Cannot find lazcontroldsgn used by Lazarus.
>
> Ubuntu's Lazarus package is faulty. Just get the sources directly from
> Subversion server and build them.
>
>  svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/branches/fixes_2_0/ lazarus_2_0
>  cd lazarus_2_0
>  make
>  ./lazarus
>
> As an extra bonus you will get latest bug fixes in future by running "svn up".
> My prediction is that you will ignore this advice and start to bang
> your head with .deb packages like many others do. The forum is full of
> threads by those people.

I know of no distribution which has both lazarus & fpc in valid packages packages. Some have one, but not both.

An observation and a question:

I have done this several times on opensuse Leap 14 and 15. Each time I have had fpc installed first: is that what you meant? Or does the svn repository include fpc now?

And each time I have had to run make with -j1  Even on multiprocessor machines, parallel make runs into a race condition sooner or later, and report that a package cannot be found. Idle playing with the Makefile hasn't shed any light on why.

Teresa