[Lazarus] Built console app on Linux, but won't run on another Linux machine

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 27 17:56:15 CEST 2018

Bo Berglund via Lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> schrieb am Sa., 27.
Okt. 2018, 13:58:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 13:39:12 +0200, Sven Barth via Lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
> >Binaries usually have aligned sections so removing or adding just a
> >small bit (like the dependency on gdk in your case introduced by the
> >LCL) does not necessarily mean a change in size.
> >
> >You could also try "objdump -x /path/to/your/binary" and look at was is
> >listed as NEEDED in the Dynamic Section. You'd then need to find out
> >what dependencies you don't want to have and then figure out which units
> >led to their inclusion. Maybe it's just a stray unit that pulls in some
> >GUI dependencies.
> >
> I tried to upgrade, dist-upgrade the server to remove the logon
> greeting about available updates then rebooted.
> No difference.
> Then I tried by installing xfce4 desktop, thinking that this would
> deposit the X11 stuff into the system. But it did not solve the
> problem even though the start error message now changed to:
> (LicMgr:19268): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> So clearly there was a problem somewhere here concerning X11 and it is
> gone, but replaced with this display stuff...
> I *really* need to get this program running without any GUI references
> since it is supposed to be run by cron every 10 minutes to process
> website generated request emails...
> And the server itself is never accessed except via the command line
> over the network. I am currently some 8400 km away from the physical
> location of the server....

As others already wrote you should not try to fulfill twee dependency on t
he server, but to remove it from your binary. For this you need to find out
what unit pulls in that dependency and get rid of that. You can maybe use
the Unit Dependencies window for that (see
http://wiki.freepascal.org/IDE_Window:_Unit_dependencies ).

Alternatively you could try to switch the LCLWidgetType to NoGUI as had
already been suggested by Mattias as well and try whether that is


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/pipermail/lazarus/attachments/20181027/6ae74586/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Lazarus mailing list