[Lazarus] Feeback wanted: Tutoring kids with Pascal project idea

Ralf Quint freedos.la at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 00:18:53 CEST 2019

On 4/26/2019 1:08 PM, Travis Ayres via lazarus wrote:
> Avoid the most pertinent subject for their age bracket that led a huge
> number of us into the field.
>
> Weird flex, but ok. In adultspeak: That's a questionable pedagogic
> choice.

+1

In that age group, it will be hard to get their intention/interest
without somehow involving games.

But properly structuring to write a game can teach a lot of useful
programming skills. Pong can be quite challenging if you kind of add the
physics aspect and/or events, that might be a bit tough for the lower
end of that age range.

For an adult (ok, early college students, who's major was not CS), I
used to use Solitaire (Klondike, first in a text screen version, to
focus on the logic) as a project. Minesweeper is also something that can
be used, again in plain text, as using graphics is easily getting quite
evolved depending on the underlying operating system(s).

Ralf

---