[Lazarus] Nice Lazarus ScrabbleControl, also a Gtk2 Bug

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 17:45:49 CEST 2019

The WS classes are very difficult to work with IMO. I've used them and they
are just messy, as in difficult and not exactly straight forward or
intuitive. I'd have to look them over again to put my finger on exactly
what's hard to use about them, but I distinctly remember having unnecessary
trouble with them. With regards to code size I believe the way it works
with WS classes and how it could only work with static linking is to make
use of defines and conditional uses that is hopefully limited to only one
place.

The way I image interfaces working is that they serve as contracts. One
master library unit file would define the interfaces which represent the
entirety of every function of a window manager. That is managing windows,
handling the mouse, keyboard, painting, and some common ideas such as image
lists, canvas, fonts, printing, then a platform implementor writes concrete
implementations of those. Native control interfaces for widgets such as
TEdit, TButton, TTreeView, TPageControl would be independent interfaces
defined in a cross platform control interface unit, but registered by name
with the window management so that their function could be loaded by
matching a window class name in the Params of WindowManager.WindowCreate().

Anyhow, to change anything now would mean a complete rewrite and at this
point it would be a huge undertaking to say the least.