[Lazarus] Windows startup infinite loop

Dennis dec12 at avidsoft.com.hk
Sat Feb 16 08:06:03 CET 2019

Henry Vermaak via lazarus wrote:
> We're having a strange problem here, an infinite loop happens on a customer's
> machine just after the main form is created.  It doesn't happen when the
> program is run inside a debugger and it only happens on the customer's
> machine(s), so it's probably related to their Windows configuration.
>
> The infinite loop is not in our code (probably happens with HandleNeeded() is
> called for the main form).  When I attach gdb manually when the program is run
> outside the debugger I can get a stack trace that shows the loop:
Does it happen on all windows versions i.e. windows 10, windows 7 etc?

I myself experience different behaviour in setting a control's parent
under windows 10 and windows 7.
In Windows 10, it takes 10 seconds to create children controls within a
TFrame's constructor if its parent is already set.
No problem in windows 7.
Eventually, I only create the children controls before setting the
TFrame's parent.

If your problem only appear in windows 10, maybe the parent property is
where you should look at.

Dennis