[Lazarus] Tools for self-extracting executables?

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Mon Feb 18 15:51:26 CET 2019

Before spending any time on this I would look at the Open Source 7-zip
compression utility (https://www.7-zip.org/). This is available for both
Windows and Linux and I use it to package my own Windows/FPC/Lazarus
builds for self-extraction and installation under Windows (I also use
Microsoft WIX to build the MSI files).

7z is readily scripted to archive your files into a single zip. All you
then need to do is to concatenate a pre-built 7z.sfx stub executable
with a text file containing the installation parameters and the zip
file. The result is a self-extracting archive. This is described in its
documentation under the -sfx (Create SFX archive) switch.