[Lazarus] Can't start lazarus trunk

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Jan 3 14:03:15 CET 2019

Op 03-01-19 om 11:37 schreef Mattias Gaertner via lazarus:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 11:00:47 +0100
> Joost van der Sluis via lazarus <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>> This may be a stupid question, but why do I now have to click
>>> through a message "An error occured during the initialization of
>>> Fppkg: Could not find a fpc executable in the PATH.
>>> Check your Fppkg configuration and restart Lazarus to be able to
>>> use Fppkg's functionality." ever time I start Lazarus?
>>
>> The same holds if you remove gdb, make or the source-files of fpc's
>> packages. While in principle Lazarus could be used without those.
>
> But this is handled in one dialog. And the dialog searches in all
> common places and checks for common mistakes.

Yes, that's what I meant. It has to be added there. But ideally I want
to have it added by a package. But this is not possible at the moment.
But on the other side: even without the fppkg package you can get into
these troubles, so maybe just add this check within the IDE itself.
>> [...]
>> Then the question remains: why should Lazarus warn you when you do
>> not use the functionality? Well, see above.
>
> If if it something I don't need then I would expect that it asks only
> once and it can be disabled/uninstalled.

When I remove fpc's sources, it will ask me again and again and again...
See the response above.

When the problem is fixed, you won't see it anymore.

>> [...] like compiling LCL-based applications on the command-line
>
> That's not new.
> It's new that you can use fpmake instead of lazbuild.

[joost at fed4k laztestpackage]$ ppcx64 project1.lpr
Free Pascal Compiler version 3.3.1 [2018/12/29] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2018 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Target OS: Linux for x86-64
Compiling project1.lpr
Compiling unit1.pas
Compiling resource project1.or
Linking project1
project1.lpr(21,1) Warning: "crtbegin.o" not found, this will probably
cause a linking failure
project1.lpr(21,1) Warning: "crtend.o" not found, this will probably
cause a linking failure
48 lines compiled, 3.2 sec
2 warning(s) issued
[joost at fed4k laztestpackage]$

And yes, project1 in this case is the default project1 Lazarus comes up
with, with one simple form.

But, yes. I had to adapt fpc.cfg to tell it which widgetset it has to use:
-Fu~/.fppkg/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$FPCTARGET/*/gtk2

>> [...] and improved compilation times.
>
> Please elaborate.

This one needs more work and proof. In principle fpmake does almost the
same as lazbuild. We have to experiment if it's any better in using
multiple threads to compile packages.

But in principle fpmake should be better in detecting which packages it
should re-compile.

And it passes less search-paths to the compiler, a thing of which
Florian always ways it helps compilation times a lot.

But it's debatable, yes.

Regards,

Joost.