[Lazarus] Problems using RunCommandIndir with Lazarus 2.0.0

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 00:41:16 CET 2019

On Fri, 01 Mar 2019 20:05:10 +0100, Bo Berglund via lazarus

>ANOTHER LAZARUS PROBLEM:
>------------------------
>While testing this I also discovered that the FileOpen dialog is
>*EXTERMELY* slow to appear.
>What can cause this?
>
>  dlgOpen.InitialDir := ReadIniString('Files', 'VideoDir', '');
>  dlgOpen.FileName := ExtractFileName(ReadIniString('Files',
>'VideoFile', ''));
>  if not dlgOpen.Execute then exit;
>
>The dlgOpen.Execute call pops up an unpopulated window after 8
>seconds, then chugs along painting the window for another 5 seconds
>until it is done 13-14 seconds after the call was made!!!
>
>I have never experienced this kind of delay in earlier versions of
>Lazarus, so is there something in this new version running on Windows
>7 X64 that is known to cause it?
>
>I installed Lazarus 2.0.0 yesterday on my Windows 7 X64 workstation
>when starting this new project since I only had 1.8.0 and earlier
>installed before (with fpc 3.0.4).
>I have used the dialogs in other projects and never seen this sluggish
>behaviour before....

I have now tested with both 32 and 64 bit Lazarus installations on my
Windows 7 x64 workstation and they both are very sluggish when
bringing up the file select dialog. This happens when I run in the IDE
by using the green arrow button.

Then I stripped the exe file of symbols and started it directly. In
this execution mode the OpenDialog.Execute function is no longer so
slow. It behaves more natural now.

So it seems like the problem is because of debugging from the IDE
inside of a Windows 7 x64 environment using Lazarus 2.0.0. Why this
would be slow in bringing up a file select dialog is not clear to
me...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden