[Lazarus] Universal FontDialog for LCL

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Mar 11 14:01:33 CET 2019

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019, Kostas Michalopoulos via lazarus wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 12:55 PM Juha Manninen via lazarus
> <lazarus at lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>> Everybody wants to include their custom components in LCL. Why?
>
> Most likely because it is much easier to have a single "batteries
> included" installer that provides everything you need out of the box
> now and much more likely to be there and working in the future (since
> it is part of the codebase that the Lazarus devs are compiling against
> after every modification), than chase after packages provided by
> others who may or may not keep them available and up to date (keeping
> your own copies can solve the "available" part, but then you take
> unofficial ownership of the package for the "up to date" part).

Exactly.

Relying on packages somewhere in the cloud can lead to nasty surprises.
I've been bitten by npm ("packaging on steroids") more than once when
developing browser-based apps, and I am very reluctant to use such mechanisms.
You're constantly chasing version numbers for no good reason.

IMO Lazarus should provide a decent selection that allows someone to do most
common tasks without needing to install something extra.
(what this "decent selection" is, is up for debate, of course)

Michael.