[Lazarus] Feedback Wanted: Next tutoring project

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Mon May 6 10:02:20 CEST 2019

On 06/05/2019 01:32, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
> Regarding the next project, I think I am going to concentrate two
> different programming tasks for my students. One task is to create
> various tones through simple functions, and the other is to create
> effects (again through simple functions) which manipulate a sound
> source. Examples of effects might include a chorus effect, pan effect,
> flanger effect, reverb effect, echo effect, and probably a few crazy
> original sounding effects that don't make much sense for musicians to
> use. In any case, I suspect that I will allow the user to again hook
> effects up together in a chain, possibly using the same node type user
> interface where one effect outputs samples that can be fed into other
> effects.
>
> And in place of the image drawn above like in the Image Shop example,
> I might just make the rendering take the shape of graphing real time
> wave forms and cut back slightly on the musical staff, at least until
> another point in time.

As well as effects to alter the tones, you could consider adding a
repetitive mode in which beats/rhythm is introduced for one or more
tones, such as various drumming styles, pizzicato, rock rhythms, hip
hop, waltz and other dance beats etc. If the tones sounded concurrently
this could add a ground bass effect.